Monday, March 19, 2012

Today's hour in the garden

I spent my hour in the vegie garden this afternoon, still weeding, but I managed to get one side nearly finished. I still have the mulch to do, and the other side to finish. Hopefully I can finish by the end of the week. I am currently reading "Smart Permaculture Design" by Jenny Allen, which I am loving. It's a very visual book, but with heaps of info, and the way she has written it, it's easy to read, and having done my permaculture design certificate, it is basically like a refresher course and everything she is writing makes sense. I am also planning what to plant in the vegie garden, and I want to include a lot of perennials in the garden that I don't need to be replanting all the time, and filling it in with fast growing annuals.
It is very, very wet around the garden though, which makes it easy to pull the weeds out, but really muddy to walk around, so I think some pavers are in order or some gravel. So, I have managed 3 days in a row of my hour in the garden challenge , and it is making a difference so I am happy with my progress so far. Ann and I had card class today, so some creative time today, which was good. We made these cards today




So tomorrow will be an at home today, so a couple of things to organise to finish off inside renovations, and then I will probably do a little bit of mowing - can only do a little area out the back as it's too wet in a lot of areas.  Then I might do a bit of sewing....we'll see how the day pans out...

2 comments:

  1. It is still very wet here too, but I am hoping that every day we get a few more breaks in the rain and then the ground will dry out. I have steered toward more perrenials, but then find I don't have a lot of place to rotate crops like tomatoes and eggplant....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's definitely worth considering, I will need to make sure I leave enough room for crop rotation, it's a bit of a balancing act isn't it?

      Delete